Tenant Tips: Securing your House Before Holiday Breaks
As you get ready to leave for any of the holiday breaks, please make sure to review this list, and make the following arrangements if no one in your apartment will be home. Following these rules will ensure the safety of your property and home.
- Lock all of your doors and windows, remove window air conditioning units (where possible, and especially on the first floor)
- Take home any valuables like computers, video games and other items you can easily fit into your car.
- Leave a light on in the main area of the house. A radio on low volume is also a good idea to give the impression that someone may be home.
- Unplug all electronics, especially space heaters, hair straighteners and any other heated items.
- Keep the heat set at 50 degrees minimum so that pipes don’t freeze.
- At 151, 264 W Jackson and 274 W Jackson your first floor bathroom has an installed electric heater, make sure it’s on. Low setting is fine.
- Keep the cabinets under the kitchen and bathroom sinks open so warm air can circulate and keep those pipes from freezing too
- Secure your trash barrels so that they don’t blow away during bad weather